Seed bank studies. Evaluating environmental factors influence on phenotypic properties using morphometric data. Geobotanical studies of plant communities. Studies on population ecology. Hybridization. Molecular methods: DNA extraction, PCR, qPCR, eDNA.
Annotation of the dissertation
Ecological status of the water bodies is important for aquatic plant species, especially for those that whole life cycle take place underwater. Annual water plants of genus Najas was chosen as the main object of the research. This genus covers relatively frequent as well as very rare and endangered species. Data about diversity, biological traits, ecological requirements, population status and distribution of genus Najas in Eastern part of the Baltic upland water bodies is scarce, thus without this information, it is impossible to create scientifically justified conservation plans for species and their habitats.
Aim – to evaluate Najas genus species diversity, distribution, and rare survival potential of species in different ecological niches in water bodies of Baltic upland region.
1. Evaluate genus Najas species diversity and their phytocoenological significance in underwater plant communities.
2. Determine status of the genus Najas populations and impact of environment conditions on their stability.
3. Investigate seed bank in lakes sediment and it potential use for restoration and conservation.
4. To prepare scientifically justified recommendations for protection of endangered species and their habitats.
- 2020 – 2021. Open water diver (PADI) course with specialization in dry suit.
International scientific conferences:
- Kamaitytė-Bukelskienė L., Butkuvienė J., Naugžemys D. 2021. Impact of water transport on water courses with vegetation – habitat type 3260 of European importance. 64th International Conference for Students of Physics and Natural Sciences. “Open readings 2021”. March 16-19, Vilnius, Lithuania. Book of abstracts: 356. https://www.openreadings.eu/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Abstract_book_2021S.pdf
- Kamaitytė-Bukelskienė, Petrulaitis L., Sinkevičienė Z. 2022. Recent distribution of Najas minor and Najas flexilis in Lithuania. The 64th International Scientific Conference of Daugavpils University. Book of abstracts: 11. Https://dukonference.lv/files/Tezes_64.konf._labotas.pdf
- Kamaitytė-Bukelskienė, Sinkevičienė Z. 2022. Comparison of Chara filiformis and Chara contraria oospore morphological parameters. 2022. Abstracts of the 23rd Meeting of the Group of European Charophytologists (16–19 August 2022). – Environmental and Experimental Biology. 20 (2) DOI:https://doi.org/10.22364/eeb.20.13.